GoCampingAmerica.com | Posted April 2, 2013
Ladder Ball: A Great Group Game Option
Happy Camper Blog
Interesting fact before we talk about the rules of the game: some speculate that the game may have originated as early as the 1900's and believe the bola is a stand-in for a live snake, which cowboys in the western United States used to throw at fences or branches for points.
It takes the saying "In my day..." to a whole new level.
Anyways, let's get into how to play Ladder Ball, aka Ladder Golf, Bolo Toss, Boloball or Hillbilly Golf.
- Two or more players or teams
- "Ladder" with 3 rungs: a top, middle and a bottom.
- Each player has 3 golf ball bolas. A bola is two golf balls attached by a nylon rope.
Object of the Game:
- To wrap your bolas around the rungs of the ladder. .
Playing the Game:
- Laddar Ball can be a two to four player game, individuals or teams.
- Ladders should be positioned 15 feet apart, for the “official toss line”, but most players measure five paces from the game ladder to set the toss line.
- The game is played in rounds and each round consists of all players tossing 3 bolas each.
- A coin toss is used to decide which player or team will toss first.
- The first player or team must toss all 3 bolas before the next player or team is able to toss his or her bolas.
- Bolas can be tossed in anyway the player chooses, as long as they are tossed individually. They can also be bounced off the ground.
- The winner of the round earns the first toss in the next round. \
- In addition, if players from opposing teams have bolas hanging from the same rung at the end of the round, those points “cancel each other out” and neither team scores those points.
- Points are determined by which rung your bola wraps around.
- The top rung is worth 3 points the middle rung is worth 2 points and the bottom rung is worth 1 point.
- Players can score an optional bonus of 1 point by hanging all 3 bolas from the same step or by hanging a bola on all 3 rungs in one round.
- The highest amount of points available per player is 10. This is accomplished by hanging all 3 bolas on the top rung.
- Games are played to an exact point total of 21.
- In order to win, a player must be the only one to score exactly 21 points after the completion of a round.
- If a player goes over the exact point total, that players points for that round do not count.
- When one player or team reaches 21 or more points before an opponent reaches 20 points, the team or player scoring 21 or more is the winner.
- All games must be won by a least 2 points.
- If after all players have tossed all their bolas, and one team has scored 21 points, but it's not at least 2 points ahead of the other players, then the game continues until one team can outscore the other by at least 2 points.
- In the case of a tie at 21, the players that tie will play as many overtime rounds as needed until one player ends a complete round 2 points ahead of the other player.
- After all teams have tossed all their bolas, scoring is determined by the bolas that are still hanging from the rungs.
- Players can knock-off bolas during the course of the game, in fact knocking-off other players bolas is encouraged and a good way to play defensively.